Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We went out this past weekend with some people from base, and hit up "bar row." We had a lot of fun, and really enjoyed ourselves. I got hit on by a local woman, and I'm not sure she cared if I was there with Travis, and since I didn't know how to say anything in Japanese, I would just keep walking back to Travis. She eventually got the hint..haha.
Here are a few pictures of the night. We couldn't take any photos in the club/bar because they all turned out really blurry.
 That is a diner.. and I'm not sure if you can tell (because it took me walking past it a few times, and then looking at the photo before I finally figured it out) but it's supposed to be a guy opening up his shirt to show his chest tattoos. Not exactly sure how it pertains to a diner.
Here's a Kebab stand right in the middle of "bar row" We stopped for everyone to eat (I didn't because I was still full from dinner) There is a giant spindle of meat there to the left. It's supposed to be really good, and it definitely smelled delicious. There were more people here at one point than there were in some of the bars.

We're supposed to be moving into our house on October 13. We won't have any of our stuff for a month, so we're going to have to get loaner furniture, and then also buy stuff that we already have in our shipment. :/ But at least we'll have our own house, and one month isn't too long to wait.

We finally got our phone figured out. Turns out it was just a button we had to push..who knew. haha. We've downloaded a few apps to try to text for free to people in the states, but we haven't been able to figure those out yet..and they only work if the people you're texting have the app as well. :/ We've downloaded "whatsapp" and "viber" so far. If you have a blackberry/android/iphone whatsapp will work on your phone. If you have an android/iphone then viber will work for your phone. "viber" lets you make free calls/texts..while whatsapp only allows texts. I'm sure we'll figure something out soon.

We are still enjoying ourselves immensely and love that we've been given this opportunity. We can't wait to be able to travel a little bit more. Although, one thing I am not enjoying is the spiders. There is a red/yellow/black one that is about an inch that used to hang out between a bush and a sign by the lodge..but he's not there anymore. The other day I was walking to the housing office and from a distance I thought I seen a leaf in a web, and as I got closer I realized it was just the biggest spider i'd ever seen. It resembled a baby bat. I could see the hair and it was hanging upside down. I didn't get very close because it was so big, but I did stare at it for a few moments. It was probably about as big as my thumb..in thickness and length.
I looked up the spiders, and it turns out the red/black/yellow one is a bit poisonous..but they're all over in Japan. They have the largest webs in all of Japan as well. I couldn't find out what the other spider was, and I'm not sure I want to look at that many photos to try to find out.

It's still pretty warm here, it's in the mid 70s high 60's every day. We will only get small amounts of snow, and it usually melts pretty quick. Supposedly it doesn't get too cold to where you need a coat until December. It rains quite a bit, but only twice since we've been here. I won't be going anywhere today, since we keep forgetting to buy an umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment